Wednesday, March 22, 2023

SLASH AND BURN

It is early March and
The dry season has several weeks left to run and
The fires of slash and burn farmers are still burning and
So the skies above Chiang Mai are stained pearl grey.
Also, the mild weather of December and
January is a distant memory and
The tropical heat is becoming oppressive again even though
The sun seems to struggle to penetrate the hazy air.
Despite the heat and smoke,
When the mercury falls into the low thirties
During the final daylight hour before sunset,
I stick to my (almost) daily routine
Of walking two kilometres or
Sometimes slightly more.
As I walk I can see the blurry sun
Floating like a fat marigold balloon
That is somehow resisting
The gravitational pull of the mountains in the west
While sooty particles in the thick air
Irritate my throat and my nostrils and
The heat makes me sweat
Enough to make me believe
That the exercise is doing me good.

No comments: