Thursday, March 19, 2020

THE SWALE

By the railway line,
Where it crossed a culvert,
There was a shady swale
And a stagnant, shallow pond
Beneath a wiry willow tree.
For some reason I was curious,
So I looked into the still water
And I saw the ancient shapes –
Two green crocodiles submerged –
One a small adult,
The other youthful and pert,
Both at rest, but both alert.
There was a young woman
Relaxing on the grassy bank,
Dangling her feet in the water,
Tempting, it seemed to me,
Those cruel reptiles to attack.
So I warned her of the danger
But she laughed,
Closing her eyes to doze
And drifting away in her dreams.
I thought of my neighbours,
Who walked their dogs
Beside these murky streams,
And I visited them
To report the predators’ presence.
Now, their property was a place
Of horrors for me,
For they kept exotic fish in tanks
And clammy, carnivorous creatures in pits.
Among the menagerie were monsters –
Amphibians with round, gaping mouths
Full of razor teeth that dripped venom.
One of these beasts followed me home
And tried to trap me on my threshold
As I fumbled with my front door keys,
So I screamed in fright at my plight.
Then a tiny, ginger cat appeared -
Domesticated or feral
I could not be sure –
But, with a savage lunge,
It slashed open the underbelly
Of my cold-blooded assailant.
And, after a short time,
The feline proceeded to dine
On the freak's lifeless flesh.

No comments: